Hanley suffer second league defeat of season, Rocester in trouble

Photo credit: Carl Dickinson

Midland Football League leaders Hanley Town suffered just their second league loss of the campaign on Tuesday evening.

The visitors went down 1-0 to Shifnal Town – their first defeat since December 11.

Hanley are 12 points clear at the top of the Premier Division, with second-placed Boldmere St Michaels having two games in hand.

The club have six games left to play and wins in four of them would all but secure the title given their mighty goal difference (51).

Hanley announced the signing of Kidsgrove Athletic all-time top scorer Anthony Malbon earlier in the week.

Meanwhile, Rocester are on the brink of relegation on the North West Counties Football League First Division South.

They lost 2-1 at home to Abbey Hey to leave them ten points from safety with four games to go.

A loss away at Stockport Town on Saturday will confirm their relegation to Step 7.

Rocester were only saved from the drop on Tuesday by Eccleshall’s narrow loss to Wythenshawe Amateurs.

They were edged out in a seven-goal thriller which saw the hosts win 4-3.

Callum Feeney grabbed a brace; one from the spot and another in added time.

Tamworth edge closer to survival, Brocton win shoot-out

A first-half Dan Creaney strike saw Tamworth earn a 1-1 draw with Leiston and move nine points from the Southern League Central Premier drop zone.

Brocton claimed a 4-2 spot-kick win over Winsford United in the first round of the Macron Cup.

Reg Smith sent the tie into a penalty shoot-out with an 83rd-minute equaliser in a 1-1 deadlock in normal time.

Meanwhile, Abbey Hulton United lost 3-1 to Alsager Town, Matthew Berkeley with their strike.

Finally, Kidsgrove Athletic defeated Market Drayton Town 4-1 in the Northern Premier League West Division on Monday night.

After going behind after seven minutes, it took until 20 minutes into the second half to find Lews Bergin’s equaliser.

Kingsley Adu-Gyamfi put the visitors ahead on 77 minutes before a Kieran Brown double within the final six minutes wrapped up the points.

Click to follow Sport in Staffs for all our latest articles on: