Port Vale Football Club has handed an indefinite ban to a supporter amid a police investigation into reports of a racist message sent to Leyton Orient player Lawrence Vigouroux.
The ban is effective immediately, pending the outcome of the investigation.
The club said it was made aware of a message sent to the goalkeeper shortly after their 4-3 win over Orient on Saturday, October 2.
A spokesperson for Port Vale FC said: “On seeing the message, Port Vale FC quickly issued a statement via social media to confirm that we had been made aware of it, stating our zero tolerance stance to all forms of abuse and confirming that the club had begun an investigation.
“As part of initial discussions, Port Vale’s Safety Officer was advised of the situation along with our Dedicated Football Officer who immediately contacted Lawrence privately to apologise and explain that she would investigate the matter thoroughly.
“Port Vale owner Carol Shanahan also made contact with the player to personally apologise on behalf of the club.”
Port Vale and Leyton Orient reiterate zero-tolerance stance
The spokesperson continued: “At the same time, Port Vale also contacted the CEO and Secretary at Leyton Orient FC to advise them of the steps that had been taken on the evening of the game and reassure them that swift action would be taken.
“The individual who sent the message has been interviewed by police and is now being dealt with by the criminal justice system.
“Port Vale FC would like to thank colleagues at Leyton Orient FC for their support in dealing with this matter as swiftly as possible.
“Both clubs would like to reiterate our zero tolerance stance to abuse of any kind and thank fans who condemned the individual responsible for the message and offered support to the player.”
Click to follow Sport in Staffs for all our latest articles on: